4.7.08

TEEN CREEPS I'VE SEEN YOU ON MY STREET.





No Age is a noise/experimental/punk band from beautiful Los Angeles, California.
As if this wasn’t a comfortable enough existence on its own they’ve gone about becoming one of the hippest bands of their kind about.
Firstly, they're a two-piece, something I’m lucky enough to share in common with them.
On top of the coolness that comes with being a Los Angeles 2-Piece in '07 they brought out five limited edition singles and EPs on 5 different labels, with each sleeve plastered with a different letter. When the collection was complete, the sleeves would spell No Age. There's nothing like stealing marketing ploys from a certain infamous series of Mr Men books....
On top of this they’ve played in the middle of Los Angeles River, a vegan grocery store and Los Angeles Central Library. So before I’d even heard their music, they’d thoroughly earned my admiration (and jealousy).



Being the favourites of the blogosphere I guess I should have latched on earlier. But with my birthday coming up I thought ‘NOUNS’ would make a lovely birthday present. And surprise surprise - it has.

I wouldn’t say I’m massively into the Punk/Noise Rock sound but there’s something about the distorted, trebly, punk, fuzz-pop of this album (sorry, I’m not big on simple descriptions) that draws you in. The songs fit together perfectly, with moments of ambience to give your ears a wee rest between tracks. Although there aren’t any songs that really stick out for me as hit singles, the album as a whole works perfectly. A far cry from the uniformed, uninspiring, ‘indie by numbers’ albums that are currently covering the HMV shelves, ‘Nouns’ offers a pounding, raucous, headache-maker of an album. Although lacking hooks, the album cuts from song to song easily with tracks such as ‘Eraser’ and with ‘Here Should Be My Home’ seeming the most likely to get radio airplay.

Somehow I don’t think karaoke and chanting fans are high on this bands list of priorities, and it’s just as well because the regulars of an inner-city Gloucester pub couldn’t do this album justice.

Download No Age - It's Oh So Quiet MP3
Download No Age - Eraser MP3

No Age Myspace

- Christian (a regular of an inner-city Gloucester pub.)

No comments: